Top Ad unit 728 × 90

'G.I. Joe' Abandons Summer, Wahlberg and Vulgar Teddy Bear Swoop In

In order to capitalize on The Rock in 3D (which is sure to be box office gold, right?), Paramount announced that it was moving G.I. Joe: Retaliation from June 29 to March 29, 2013. Paramount has been advertising the G.I. Joe sequel like crazy lately, with trailers and TV commercials featuring The Rock and Bruce Willis, so it's kind of surprising that the studio is making this move. The allure of 3D dollars must have been enough to take the loss on all the advertising they've done so far. If you were expecting quality when it comes to a 3D G.I. Joe: Retaliation, don't bother — it's going to be a 3D conversion. That worked out so well for Clash of the Titans.

So, why are Mark Wahlberg and that vulgar teddy bear so happy?

With G.I. Joe: Retaliation bailing on June 29, Universal swept in, moving Seth MacFarlane's Ted from July 13. This is an excellent move on Universal's part. Ted looks like it's going to be a sleeper hit, but with its original July 13 release date, it was going to have to compete with The Dark Knight Rises the following week. Ted would've had one week to make its money, and then it would've been dead in the water.

I think a lot of people are going to be happy with Ted's move. Is anyone going to miss G.I. Joe: Retaliation though?
'G.I. Joe' Abandons Summer, Wahlberg and Vulgar Teddy Bear Swoop In Reviewed by Bill Kuchman on 5/23/2012 Rating: 5

No comments:

© Popculturology. All rights reserved.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.