Top Ad unit 728 × 90

James Cameron and 'Avatar' are in an exclusive relationship now


In an interview with The New York Times, director James Cameron revealed that he no longer intends to make any movies that aren't Avatar sequels. Yup, you heard that right. The supposed visionary who brought the world The Terminator and Aliens will never again leave the world of Smurfs in space.


Cameron listed as Avatar 2, Avatar 3 and "maybe" Avatar 4 as his next film projects.
I’ve divided my time over the last 16 years over deep ocean exploration and filmmaking. I’ve made two movies in 16 years, and I’ve done eight expeditions. Last year I basically completely disbanded my production company’s development arm. So I’m not interested in developing anything. I’m in the “Avatar” business. Period. That’s it. I’m making “Avatar 2,” “Avatar 3,” maybe “Avatar 4,” and I’m not going to produce other people’s movies for them. I’m not interested in taking scripts. And that all sounds I suppose a little bit restricted, but the point is I think within the “Avatar” landscape I can say everything I need to say that I think needs to be said, in terms of the state of the world and what I think we need to be doing about it. And doing it in an entertaining way. And anything I can’t say in that area, I want to say through documentaries, which I’m continuing.
I was talking with a friend about Cameron's new Avatar-only policy earlier today, and he pointed out to me that we're in a world where directors are bringing us movies like Inception and The Avengers, but Cameron has decided to longer do anything original.

Creatively, this is an awful decision. Avatar was one of the least creative movies story-wise ever. Yes, it had amazing 3D CGI, but the story was obviously the last thing Cameron worried about. Cameron is clearly thinking with his wallet here, hoping to replicate Avatar's box office success with its sequels. Here's hoping The Avengers knocked Avatar from its all-time box office throne.
James Cameron and 'Avatar' are in an exclusive relationship now Reviewed by Bill Kuchman on 5/07/2012 Rating: 5
© Popculturology. All rights reserved.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.