Top Ad unit 728 × 90

My Best Picture: A 'Lincoln' Versus 'Argo' Duel


Any other year,  I’d almost certainly be on Team Django Unchained to take home the Best Picture prize. Quentin Tarantino has never really gotten the full respect from the Academy that he deserves — his films are constantly unique, creative and enjoyable (and also, very, very violent). In 2009, I enjoyed The Hurt Locker but thought the best film released that year was Inglourious Basterds. The Best Picture Oscar rarely (never?) goes to a daring film. That’s just the way these things go.  Now, having said that, my duel for the 2013 Best Picture includes two films that are not Django Unchained. It’s not you Django, it’s me.

This is simply the year of Lincoln. And it’s the year of Argo. It maybe even could have been the year of Batman, but the Academy seems to not be impressed with Christopher Nolan. (Note: They should be. He’s awesome.) Though a Best Picture tie Sunday would have very high comedic and historic value, it probably won’t happen (but you never know). So, who is it going to be?

Here’s my breakdown of the great Lincoln versus Argo duel of 2013.

The case for Lincoln
If a Lincoln win could help make the superb book Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer into a movie or even a killer premium cable (or Netflix) miniseries, then I’m all for it. As you can guess, from the title, James L. Swanson's book chronicles John Wilkes Booth's trek after assassinating the iconic president. Additionally, it details the tale of the authorities who pursued the infamous killer. It's a fantastic read, and — if done correctly — would make an ultra-compelling movie or show. Heck, I think Daniel Day-Lewis could pull off playing Abraham Lincoln and Booth in this one (double Oscars!). Or, Day-Lewis could be Booth and Louis C.K. could handle the Lincoln role this time out.

My next reason touting Lincoln isn’t what you’d expect. While the awesomeness of Day-Lewis (and even Steven Spielberg, Tommy Lee Jones, etc.) is obvious, I think a Lincoln win could have a larger cultural effect. Yes, I’m saying it: It's time to bring back the Lincoln "look." Top hats, presidential beards, weird-looking bowties, even vampire killing — let’s bring it all back. If President Barack Obama had come out during the inauguration in full-on Lincoln gear, he could have gotten a start on this trend. A missed opportunity, Mr. President, a missed opportunity. No pressure, Lincoln, but the fate of top hats rests on your shoulders. Good luck. (#TopHatz4ever.)

Other interesting items that may (but probably aren’t) on the line: If we put Day-Lewis on the penny, would anyone notice? Will people start naming their kids Abraham again, or will every one in the upcoming generation just be called Gangnam, LeBron, Twilight or Bill Kuchman?

The case for Argo
Even during the dark days, I've always been on the Ben Affleck bandwagon. He's never rocked a top hat, but he's really nailed it as a director (which is almost as cool). While his prominence really began with The Town and escalated to new heights with Argo, I feel his greatest film is his directorial debut, Gone Baby Gone. But that’s just my opinion. Certainly, it could be argued that Argo is his best film, after all, it is a fantastic movie.

What can’t be argued is the decision to snub Affleck as best director. I don’t need to dive into this issue, because I think most people are baffled by the snub and have already vented about it (I’ll just assume copious alcohol was involved during the decision-making progress). Since that rejection though, Affleck and Argo have been on a tear, gaining momentum leading up to the big day. I'm thrilled to see the film rack up these awards too, as Argo was easily one of the best movies I saw in 2012.



Going back to Affleck, it's great to see him bounce back. My first experience with the filmmaker was during his stint as C.T. Granville in The Voyage of the Mimi and The Second Voyage of the Mimi. Despite the weird, potentially creepy hypothermia-centric episode of the educational whale-watching show, I was on Team Affleck from that point on. His popularity took off in the later 1990s with Good Will Hunting and Armageddon (don't act like that film isn't classic 1990s action greatness). Next he began a brutal streak that included Pearl Harbor, Daredevil and the movie that everyone makes fun of, but no one has actually seen: Gigli.

My confidence wavered in Affleck, but once he rocked it with Gone Baby Gone, all was forgiven. You can always tell greatness (or at least potential for greatness) when you become intrigued with a director's next move. I’ll always be interested when news about Nolan's next project surfaces, or when I hear about what the Coen brothers are working on. For me, Affleck is approaching that status. Three great films to start off a directorial career is no fluke.

Fun Affleck fact: According to IMDB his middle name is Geza. What?! I love that. Who's not rooting for Ben Geza Affleck? And, if Argo wins, the acceptance speech is simply going to be: "Argo f-ck yourself," right?

The verdict
Sorry, Abe, I’m going with Argo. It’s the year of the Affleck! The Notorious BGA (come on, it works) will not be denied. And, screw it, I’m going to bring back the top hat look anyway.
My Best Picture: A 'Lincoln' Versus 'Argo' Duel Reviewed by Unknown on 2/19/2013 Rating: 5

No comments:

© Popculturology. All rights reserved.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.