Top Ad unit 728 × 90

Jared Leto Covers Kurt Cobain (and It's Pretty Damn Good)

Yesterday was the 17th anniversary of Kurt Cobain's death. Beyond the usual Entertainment Weekly-style blurbs about Courtney Love and Frances Bean, actor and 30 Seconds to Mars frontman Jared Leto shared a video of himself as Cobain on his blog.

I heard today was the day Kurt passed away 17 years ago. Can’t believe it’s been that long. So grateful for his contribution and inspiration. Not sure I’d be doing this if it weren’t for him. He gave us all permission to create no matter what our skill set and reminded me that dreams are possible. Thanks for that. This made me recall a short piece of film I shot when I heard they were making a film celebrating his life. I made it to explore the character and explore creative possibilities. I never sent it to the studio or to anyone but thought I’d share it now…



Gotta say, Leto does a pretty damn good Cobain. If that kid from American Idol who butchered Smells Like Teen Spirit a few weeks ago is paying attention, this is pretty much the only way to do it.

That Cobain film that Leto mention? Yeah, if that ever does happen and they cast anyone from the Disney Channel or Twilight as Cobain, it's not even worth it. Unfortunately, Leto is already 12 years older (39) than Cobain was when he died (27), so that rules that possibility out. Unless we make use of that Benjamin Button technology ...

ADDENDUM: Oh, and the fact that the video ends before Leto can launch into the heavy part of Rape Me sucks. Funny story about Rape Me – when I asked for Nirvana (the compilation album featuring You Know You're Right) for Christmas back in 2002, my mom almost didn't get it for me since she was concerned that there was a song about rape on in.
Jared Leto Covers Kurt Cobain (and It's Pretty Damn Good) Reviewed by Bill Kuchman on 4/06/2011 Rating: 5

No comments:

© Popculturology. All rights reserved.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.