Top Ad unit 728 × 90

My Top Five Movies of 2011: A Year-Long Project (Update)

For 2011, I'm keeping an ongoing list of my top five movies, continuously updated with each new movie that I see. There are very few rules to this. Movies are only eligible if I've seen them. And only movies with 2011 release dates are considered. For example, I saw The King's Speech in 2011, but it had a 2010 release date. Not eligible for this project.


1. Source Code. Duncan Jones and Jake Gyllenhaal remain at the top of the list. A good sign that Source Code is aging well.

2. The Conspirator. Presidential history is one of my favorite topics. I own probably over 20 books about American presidents. I have them memorized in order. It's horribly nerdy, but I've accepted it. Out of all 44 presidents (Grover Cleveland counting as two of them), Abraham Lincoln is my favorite. Washington may have set the tone for the presidency and Reagan may have won the Cold War, but Lincoln saved America. I even have a Lincoln bobblehead that I got from Nationals Park last year.

If I had one (kind of big) complaint about The Conspirator, it would be that the cast just wasn't at the right level. If you want James McAvoy to be your lead, you need to surround him was some higher-caliber actors. The Conspirator did have Kevin Kline and Tom Wilkinson but it also had Office Space's Stephen Root, the sheriff from True Blood, a Glee kid and Justin Long. Compare that to the upcoming X-Men: First Class where McAvoy gets to work with Michael Fassbender (one of the badasses from Inglourious Basterds), Kevin Bacon and the Oscar-nominated Jennifer Lawrence.

3. The Adjustment Bureau. I spelled "bureau" right on the first try this time around.

4. Limitless. I don't really have anything new to say about Limitless. If I think of something that makes me sound like Roger Ebert, I'll add it.

5. Sucker Punch. This movie was a disappointment but I'll still buy it on Blu-ray when it comes out. What's the point in having a home theater system if you can't abuse it?

Didn't make the cut: No Strings Attached, Green Hornet.

Previous rankings:
April 2
My Top Five Movies of 2011: A Year-Long Project (Update) Reviewed by Bill Kuchman on 4/16/2011 Rating: 5

No comments:

© Popculturology. All rights reserved.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.