Top Ad unit 728 × 90

Here's Why Amy Schumer Passed on THE DAILY SHOW

Had Jon Stewart announced his retirement from The Daily Show about a year earlier, Amy Schumer would probably be his replacement. The Daily Beast reported on Friday that Schumer was offered the gig after Stewart's announcement but passed.

"Yes," Schumer told The Daily Beast when they asked her if Comedy Central had offered her the Daily Show hosting position. "I was so honored to be asked and considered. With Comedy Central, I project so much 'You're my parents!' on the network and the people that run it, so them saying, 'We believe in you and trust that you can do this,' I thought, 'Oh my god, thank you!'"

By this point in her career, though, Schumer had gained the ability to pick and choose her projects. In addition to Inside Amy Schumer capturing a spot in the current pop culture zeitgeist, Schumer is about to make the jump to movies with Trainwreck, a film that Judd Apatow produced and directed.

The possibility of hosting The Daily Show was tempting for Schumer, but she didn't want to get tied down to one project.

"And then I thought, 'Well, I could give everyone I love a job and we could all be together for five years," Schumer said. "But picturing being in a building and knowing what I was going to do for five years — I love not knowing. And I've never done anything safe or to make money for that reason. So, you know, I said, 'I can’t start now.'"

Schumer would have been a great Daily Show anchor, but like pretty much any star on Comedy Central and fans' wishlists, she was already too famous to go back to basic cable.

We learned last week that Comedy Central also approached Amy Poehler and Chris Rock during its search for a host to replace Stewart. Poehler passed on the job and Rock only wanted to host through the 2016 presidential election.

With each new story about a person who turned down Comedy Central's offer to host The Daily Show, it's sounding more and more like Trevor Noah was just the guy who happened to say yes to the network — not the groundbreaking and inspired host Comedy Central made it sound like he was when they announced his selection.
Here's Why Amy Schumer Passed on THE DAILY SHOW Reviewed by Bill Kuchman on 6/27/2015 Rating: 5

No comments:

© Popculturology. All rights reserved.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.