Top Ad unit 728 × 90

Weekend Box Office Roundup (Aug. 31-Sept. 2)


1. The Possession (N)
$17.70 million ($17.70 million)
It was another rough weekend at the box office. The three wide-release debuts failed to register big, but at least The Possession and Lawless didn't fail as epically as Oogieloves In the BIG Ballon Adventure (I hate myself for even writing that), which grossed a whopping $445,000 over the weekend. Geez ...

I didn't see The Possession this weekend (in fact, I didn't see anything as I was once again out of town for a wedding), and I don't plan on seeing it. Not a fan of horror films. The story sounds interesting, and Entertainment Weekly recently had an article about the true story behind the cursed cabinet in the film. Interesting stuff, just not for me.

2. Lawless (N)
$10.00 million ($12.10 million)
I'm a bit perplexed by Lawless' lackluster opening. After The Dark Knight Rises, I thought Tom Hardy had arrived. Shia LaBeouf, despite whatever anyone wants to say about him, has been able to open movies — the Transformers movies and Eagle Eye definitely proved that. Was the last weekend in August just the wrong time to release Lawless?

3. The Expendables 2 (1)
$8.90 million ($66.26 million)
The aging action stars movie finally fell from its two-week stint at No. 1, tumbling down to just $8.90 million in its third weekend. As I've been saying, I don't expect to see The Expendables 3 after this installment's disappointing second and third weekends.

4. The Bourne Legacy (2)
$7.33 million ($96.33 million)
The Bourne Legacy is going to reach $100 million during the following week, but it's going to hit that milestone is a much less impressive manner than I originally thought it would. Is Jeremy Renner's version of Bourne dead?

5. ParaNorman (4)
$6.57 million ($38.04 million)
Haven't seen it yet. Probably should. Still, ParaNorman hasn't lived up to the box office numbers put up by past animated films.

Next week's predictions:
1. Lawless
2. The Possession
3. The Bourne Legacy
4. The Cold Light of Day
5. The Bourne Legacy

Weekend Box Office Roundup (Aug. 31-Sept. 2) Reviewed by Bill Kuchman on 9/03/2012 Rating: 5

No comments:

© Popculturology. All rights reserved.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.