Top Ad unit 728 × 90

Weekend Box Office Roundup (June 16-18)


1. Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted (1)
$34.06 million ($119.01 million)
Wow, so I was kind of off for this past weekend when it came to my predictions. I thought for sure Adam Sandler's awful, awful That's My Boy would take the top spot at the box office. Thanks for proving me wrong on that one, America. You still owe an explanation for Justin Bieber, but at least you got this one right.

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted held on for a second week as box office champion, becoming the first movie to win successive weekends since The Avengers had its huge run. Speaking of The Avengers, while Marvel's superhero mega hit fell from the top five this weekend, it did hit $586.80 million, making it likely the film will become only the third movie to ever pass $600 million at the domestic box office.

2. Prometheus (2)
$20.71 million ($89.37 million)
Prometheus fell almost 60 percent from its opening weekend, but took advantage of a week box office to hold onto second place. I still have to see this one a second time. I've talked to several people who have agreed that the film grows on you after you first see it.

3. Rock of Ages (N)
$14.44 million ($14.44 million)
I actually thought about seeing this one. Seriously, the thought crossed my mind. It looks awful, but based on all the reviews, Tom Cruise's performance is something to behold. In the end though, I didn't give Rock of Ages any of my money, choosing to see Safety Not Guaranteed instead, a decision that I'm quite pleased with.

4. That's My Boy (N)
$13.45 million ($13.45 million)
Once again, thank you, America. Hopefully we've sent a message to Adam Sandler that we will no longer hand over our hard-earned money for movies like this one. You want our money again, Sandler, you start making movies like Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison again. No more of this crap. And please, please let Andy Samberg go.

5. Snow White and the Huntsman (3)
$13.27 million ($122.06 million)
Snow White and the Huntsman, despite its strong start, has really slowed down over the past few weekends. Will Universal reconsider a sequel considering this slowdown?

Next week's predictions:
1. Brave
2. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
3. Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted
4. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World
5. Prometheus

Weekend Box Office Roundup (June 16-18) Reviewed by Bill Kuchman on 6/18/2012 Rating: 5

No comments:

© Popculturology. All rights reserved.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.